Sunday, January 5, 2014

Some of the Best Books Ever
I read many great books in 2013. I also found that I was very interested in multiple genres. I narrowed the long list of amazing books I read to three. One book was realistic fiction, one was historical fiction, and one was science fiction. I loved each of these books for many different reasons. The books are: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and Cinder by Marissa Meyer.
            The Fault In Our Stars was about a girl named Hazel who had cancer. She fell in love with a cancer survivor named Augustus. When Augustus relapses the book really shows how meaningful life is, and teaches about life. This book is a very deep meaningful book. I loved this book because it taught me more about the world, and more about how people with cancer feel. Hazel and Augustus are always treated differently because they have cancer, but they just want to be treated like normal teenagers so they can have a normal teenage experience for the rest of their lives. Another reason I loved this book is because it really brought the characters alive. By the end of it I felt like I knew Hazel and Augustus. By bringing the characters alive the book taught me how to deal with death. I didn’t want any characters to die, but by the end I understood more about death. The Fault In Our Stars really helped me deal with Sammy’s death. I didn’t really notice it, but when this book was over I felt better about Sammy. The Fault In Our Stars is a really witty book that helped me get through a hard time. This book made my cry and laugh at the same time.
            The Book Thief sucked me in from the beginning. I was really inspired by the main character. It’s about girl, who lost everything to the Germans, and the Germans just expected her to give them everything. The main character, Liesel, rebels by housing a Jew. She saves a man’s life. Liesel is a very inspiring character. I loved the book thief because it showed me that anyone can help someone, no matter how small a person is, and how big his or her opponent is. The Book Thief also really shows how life was in Nazi Germany. Everyone is taught to believe that the Germans were atrocious, but not everyone was bad. Even some of the people who hated Jews weren’t evil. Hitler hypnotized everyone into having his opinions. It was either his opinions, or death. The Book Thief really shows both sides of history.
            Cinder was an amazing book. Cinder is based off Cinderella, but it takes place in the future, and there are some twists. Cinder lives with her stepsisters and stepmother, but she is half robot. Meyer took Cinderella, a very simple story, and made it come alive. Cinderella is not a strong character, and in the short fairytale the reader doesn’t really get to know her. Cinder is a passionate, and strong character. Cinder was really fun to read, and to figure out all the mysteries of the book. In Cinder there were some traumatic problems, like death, and Meyer really showed the effect of everything on Cinder. Cinder also showed that a person has to carry on his or her duties even if he or she is depressed. Cinder’s sister died, the whole city thought she was evil, and a very powerful person was going to kill her, but Cinder had a duty to save Earth, so she risked her life, even though it would be easier to just leave.
            These books have changed my life, mostly in good ways. The Fault In Our Stars in a very deep way, The Book Thief in an educational way, and Cinder in a way that taught me about writing, and developing characters. These three books have helped me grow as a person, and helped me deal with events in my life. That’s why these are the best books I read in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment